Carol Wilson Update

Stage 4 Cancer brought many challenges--and also a host of loving and praying friends. Almost-daily postings to this site are to help my friends walk with me through this journey, and to express my gratitude to them and especially to God...On 7/8/08 Carol passed through that final curtain of death and is now healed. We thank God for her life and "arrival"! Chuck

Friday, September 19, 2014

Fantastic Trip!

We are having a torrential downpour so it is a good time for me to sit down and update the blog.

My trip went extremely well and I appreciate all of your prayers.  Several have asked for statistics so here are a few.  During the 27 days away, I drove 4,100 miles, visited in 16 homes, slept in 8 different beds, and with the exception of Lisa who is in DC, was able to see all of my children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren.  I’ll make a trip to DC later to catch up with Lisa.  Toward the latter part of my trip, I received word that a good friend, Jay Tolar who had been battling ALS for many years passed on, so I adjusted my plans and was able to attend his memorial service.  All in all I was able to see a tremendous number of people in that short time.  What delightful memories!

While traveling I heard a speaker say; “Remember as you say good bye, that could be the last time.”  I was impacted by that statement at each visit, asking the Lord to make me sensitive to their situation and be an encouragement while visiting.  I certainly was encouraged by each one that I visited!

Being able to attend the memorial service for Jay was a high point for me.  While serving as a missionary in Nigeria, Jay was forced to return with his wife and family to the States when diagnosed with ALS (Lou Gehrig’s disease).  I saw him frequently during those five years as the disease took its toll on his body.  During that time I never heard him complain, but he always was cheerful and ready to encourage whomever he was with.  As his body became weaker and speech became imposible, he did not give up.  He would be navigating his specially equipped wheel chair even when it was necessary to control it and communicate with his eyes through the computer.  He would type a sentance and after a few moments the computer would speak what Jay's eyes had typed.  His love for the Lord and people was always evident.  Do join me in praying for his wife Heidi, and their two young children.  It is difficult losing your husband and father at such an early age.  He was only 48!

The rain continues to pelt down and I see considerable flooding in the yard while getting warnings on my phone about flooding conditions in our area.  Thankfully my house is still a few feet above the lake level!

Love to you all,


Chuck

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home