Carol Wilson Update

Stage 4 Cancer brought many challenges--and also a host of loving and praying friends. Almost-daily postings to this site are to help my friends walk with me through this journey, and to express my gratitude to them and especially to God...On 7/8/08 Carol passed through that final curtain of death and is now healed. We thank God for her life and "arrival"! Chuck

Monday, January 23, 2006

Player # 12

We watched every heart-breaking minute of the Carolina Panthers' loss to the Seattle Seahawks last evening. Note to the rest of the world: this is American football. Each team has 11 players on the field. But the Seahawks claim a 12th player: the spectators. Indeed, decibel measurements prove that theirs is the loudest stadium in the country. They even raise a huge flag with the number "12" on it. The announcers last evening indicated that "Player # 12" had actually given an advantage to the home team in that game.

So I got to thinking about you all. In this struggle, we might say that arrayed on the field against the 300-pound monsters called "cancer" are my family and I, the doctors and nurses, and the genius pharmaceuticals that have been developed in recent years. And you are Player #12--you who encourage us in so many ways by your love, prayers, emails, notes, calls, visits, and meals. What an advantage you give us!

But this analogy has a big flaw, because I haven't mentioned God. And not one of us could manage this struggle without Him. Let's say He's on the field beside and inside us, and He's the coach, and He's there in the stands too, encouraging all of you and us. We realize that so many of you, even as you encourage us, are carrying burdens almost too heavy to bear. We pray for you, and want to remind you that God knows and cares, and He is with you.

I'm going to call the doctor first thing this morning to arrange to get a lung drained again. My breathing has become so restricted that I really must do this. (Because of the fluid, the entire weekend was nothing but rest, with no air to do anything at all. I need to be able to walk, or my muscles will turn to cooked spaghetti.) Also this morning, I'll get blood drawn to try to determine how my red cells, white cells and platelets are handling the chemo.

Thanks again for all your prayers and encouragement.

Love,
Carol

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home