Carol Wilson Update

Stage 4 Cancer brought many challenges--and also a host of loving and praying friends. Almost-daily postings to this site are to help my friends walk with me through this journey, and to express my gratitude to them and especially to God...On 7/8/08 Carol passed through that final curtain of death and is now healed. We thank God for her life and "arrival"! Chuck

Monday, May 08, 2006

Crisis

Yesterday morning in the Sunday School class, I projected an image of the Chinese character for "crisis," and pointed out that it's made up of two words: Danger and Opportunity. (No, I don't know Chinese; I merely learned that from someone else.) It's important to remember that cancer is truly a crisis. Dangerous? Yes! It can kill. Opportunity? Oh, yes! For me it's given opportunity to learn what's really important, to be still, to draw closer to people, and to discover wonderful aspects of God's character in a far more personal dimension. Here are the childlike words I used as I shared what I've been learning about God: Mystery, Smart, Tender, Big, True, Strong, and Love. He is all of those--and far more besides.

As I sit here typing at Chuck's desk, I see the latest copy of Fortune magazine. Blazed across the lower corner are these words: Dead Zones, Danger Zones, and Safe Havens. It occurs to me that for whatever time I have left to live, the only one of those three that I absolutely want to avoid would be Dead Zones. No growth happens in Dead Zones. Life doesn't even happen there, although one might be in great physical condition. Safe Havens sound lovely, and one might be tempted to cozy in and hide there. In a sense, God always provides a safe haven--but it's not always comfortable. I think we must venture into Danger Zones, both in investing and in living, if we want to see "profit" and growth. (I haven't read the article inside the magazine, so I have no idea whether I've caught the author's intent; it doesn't matter.) With Danger comes Opportunity. I wonder what opportunities lie ahead in this day for you and for me.

Blessings,
Carol

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home