Carol Wilson Update

Stage 4 Cancer brought many challenges--and also a host of loving and praying friends. Almost-daily postings to this site are to help my friends walk with me through this journey, and to express my gratitude to them and especially to God...On 7/8/08 Carol passed through that final curtain of death and is now healed. We thank God for her life and "arrival"! Chuck

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Friday morning posting


Our computer is having problems with the internet, so I'm borrowing someone else's and putting up Friday's posting on Thursday evening. (In case we're still not up and running Friday morning, I don't want anyone to worry.)

After posting the Thursday morning blog I went back to bed and it turned out to be a not-good morning. I listened to beautiful worship music and I sensed God’s presence, but still I lay in my tousled bed—curled up in a pathetic mess of misery, trying not to vomit and feeling about as low as I felt last December in the hospital. I even wondered if this is how it feels to begin to die. That’s how Chuck found me when he came home at noon. He put up the awning, arranged cushions on the chaise, and persuaded me to move to the patio. Then the mail arrived with a package for me. I’m awed by the timeliness and beauty of the gift.

Our former neighbors worship at University Lutheran Church in East Lansing, Michigan. One of their many ministries is a service group called “Prayers and Squares.” Last Sunday four Prayer Quilts were displayed at the back of the sanctuary, and worshipers were encouraged to stop and tie a knot in a quilt and offer a prayer for the cancer patient named on the quilt. So here I am—wrapped in warm love and prayers, thanks to our neighbors and their church. There are 99 knots, so I think the quilt represents at least 99 prayers.

Included was a deeply moving Presentation liturgy, with a reading from Hebrews 12:1-3 and Philippians 1:3-6. Then this: Carol Wilson, receive this quilt as an expression of love and support by your brothers and sisters in Christ at University Lutheran Church. When you wrap yourself in this quilt may you be warmed and wrapped in prayer.

Let us pray.

Gracious God, source of all healing and comfort, we give you thanks for your gifts of strength and life, and especially for the gift of your son, Jesus Christ. Enfold Carol in your loving embrace and grant her comfort, healing, and peace. Amen. The Peace of the Lord be with you. And also with you.

I have joyful tears as I type this. What a good and perfect gift!

Can you see the bracelet on my left wrist? Another Michigan friend sent one for each of us. The beads spell FROG, and we wear them all the time as another reminder to Fully Rely On God.

So now it's Thursday evening, and I feel better; I hope the worst is past for this time.

We've prayed before for my childhood friend who has so many physical challenges. Her eyes are very bad, and her blood tests now keep saying kidney failure is imminent. Her husband begins six weeks of radiation for his cancer next week. Please lift up a prayer for these dear people. And thanks for your prayers for me.

Love,
Carol

4 Comments:

At Thu Sep 21, 10:44:00 PM GMT-5, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carol - I want to encourage you to get a port installed. I had 4 rounds of chemo - the last June 21. They had trouble finding my veins as well and when they put the line into my thumb knuckle during the last session, it came out-spilling chemicals into my thumb & hand. I have had 3 months of severe pain because of the "chemo burn"-and I'm not thru yet. I'm taking PT, but there is little they can do except prescribe pain killers. I don't want that to happen to you or anyone else. You have been such a blessing to me. Your "frogging" has encouraged me. God bless. Pat

 
At Fri Sep 22, 09:15:00 AM GMT-5, Blogger Carol Wilson said...

Dear Pat,

A needle in the thumb knuckle? Sounds like prisoner abuse! I'm so sorry for your ongoing pain, and I'll pray for your healing. Is your cancer under control?

Joanne, I pray for you too.

Love,
Carol

 
At Sat Sep 23, 12:57:00 AM GMT-5, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had lung cancer (non-smoker)diagnosed end of Jan. & surgery to remove the upper left lung. I had no symptoms, but a totally unrelated pain that led to X-rays discovering a tumor the size of a small orange. Definitely a "God thing". One lymph node was involved. Staged @ 3A because of the size of the tumor. They felt they got it all and prescribed adjuvent chemo as the return rate was 50% without it. We found our home was high in radon & perhaps the time spent as missionaries in smoke filled atmosphere of Manila contributed. God knows & is in control and He loves each of us more than we can comprehend.
My sister-in-law Betty told me of your web site as it has been an encouragement to her as well.
Thank you for sharing with us all.
I am praying for you. Pat

 
At Sat Sep 23, 07:16:00 AM GMT-5, Blogger Carol Wilson said...

Thanks for the update, Pat. I love learning about "God" things. Isn't He faithful! Thanks for your prayers. I pray your cancer is truly gone, and that the pain in your thumb goes away as well.
Carol

 

Post a Comment

<< Home