Carol Wilson Update

Stage 4 Cancer brought many challenges--and also a host of loving and praying friends. Almost-daily postings to this site are to help my friends walk with me through this journey, and to express my gratitude to them and especially to God...On 7/8/08 Carol passed through that final curtain of death and is now healed. We thank God for her life and "arrival"! Chuck

Saturday, September 23, 2006

Twice Two Not Be Four

Monday's leader at our prayer chapel gave us a sheet of quotes about prayer. She thought this one sounded way out, but the more we considered it, the more we saw its truth. Ivan Turgenev said, "Whatever we pray for, we pray for a miracle. Every prayer reduces itself to this: 'Great God, grant that twice two be not four.'" We were praying for SIM workers, of course, at chapel. She said it's the most natural thing in the world that our workers in South Asia, surrounded by people hostile to Jesus and living in very difficult conditions should become discouraged. That would be 2 + 2 = 4. So when we pray for their encouragement, we're asking that "twice two not be four." I thought about the prayers God has answered over the years, and I saw it was true. He suspended the natural order of things in response to prayer. For example, the terrible mistakes I made as a parent should have produced totally dysfunctional adult children (2+2=4). But God in His grace overruled the math and has made them loving, gracious and growing people (twice two not four). And even though I felt hard hit by kemo this week, I still recognize that God has answered your prayers for me. I've had 14 courses of chemo-therapy, and 2 + 2 should = devastating disabilities by now. Instead, I'm enjoying at least 10 good days every two weeks.

Yes, I'm feeling better this morning. Sorry to say, my throat is a little sore. I didn't want to mention that, but I'm committed to the full truth. So I'll be grateful for prayers that it doesn't indicate a serious problem and will clear up soon.

This afternoon Casablanca is playing at a resort theater in town. I like that movie so much, and never thought to see it on the big screen. My two boyfriends (Chuck and Jeremy) have graciously agreed to go with me. I don't suppose it's their favorite.

Jeremy has been meeting with a lovely French tutor every day this week, and is doing very well. Until this, he's been totally self-taught by computer language program and on the internet. What discipline it takes to make that much progress on his own! He'll be glad to be conversant when he gets to Niger in less than two weeks. Many people in his town also speak Hausa, so he's begun to work on that language as well, and he really likes it. We're having a little farewell for him before Sunday School tomorrow morning, Krispy Kremes and all. We beat him up last evening at Rummikub.

The bleeding in our friend's eye appears to have stopped, and in a couple of weeks the doctor plans laser surgery that should fix his problem. Thanks for praying. A dear friend needs prayer for a job. Our prayer list grows--along with our faith as we see God answer.

Love,
Carol

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home