Carol Wilson Update

Stage 4 Cancer brought many challenges--and also a host of loving and praying friends. Almost-daily postings to this site are to help my friends walk with me through this journey, and to express my gratitude to them and especially to God...On 7/8/08 Carol passed through that final curtain of death and is now healed. We thank God for her life and "arrival"! Chuck

Saturday, March 03, 2007

First Resource...or Last Resort?

An amusing but sobering interchange goes like this:
"Well, we've run out of options. All we can do now is pray."
"My dear! Has it come to that?!"

Desperation seems a terrible place to be. But if we have to go there before we'll pray and fully rely on God, it's actually a beautiful place to be. Yesterday's reading in indeed, the devotional Chuck and I read together, said, "While we were trying everything we could before we got to the end of our rope, we were dreading the day we would reach it. But God was excitedly anticipating it. He stands ready to be the strength in our weakness, the wealth in our poverty, the health in our sickness, the deliverance out of our captivity, and the comfort in our despair. From beginning to end, He is our ony hope."

I admire strength, and I like to be strong. But if personal strength interferes with faith, it's a very bad use of a good gift, isn't it? "Prayer should be our first resource, not our last resort."

I'm sharing this, not because there's a new crisis making me feel desperate but because it's true and worth remembering. Reminds me of the children's hymn "Jesus Loves Me." Little ones to Him belong / they are weak, but He is strong."

Yesterday we connected by phone with grandson Jeremy in Africa. He's doing well, but was a bit discouraged because his friend, who has been eagerly studying the Bible and growing spiritually, "relapsed" yesterday and participated in a big soccer brawl. Fighting used to be his way of life. Don't we all have our ups and downs as we grow in Christlikeness? We'll keep praying for his friend! And for Jeremy.

This morning I'm feeling well and looking forward to using the day to put things in order at home and prepare for my trip early Sunday to Milwaukee.

Every day I'm aware that God is answering your prayers and keeping me alive and functional. Thank you and Him--so much.

Love,
Carol

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home