Carol Wilson Update

Stage 4 Cancer brought many challenges--and also a host of loving and praying friends. Almost-daily postings to this site are to help my friends walk with me through this journey, and to express my gratitude to them and especially to God...On 7/8/08 Carol passed through that final curtain of death and is now healed. We thank God for her life and "arrival"! Chuck

Friday, March 02, 2007

Positive Goodness

Last Thursday, the second day of Lent, my daily reading in the One-Year Bible included Leviticus 19. It's a sort of expanded summary of the ten commandments. Now I've been claiming to be a Christian for way more thn 60 years, and I've always looked like a "good girl." So why did I feel like crawling under the rug as I read that chapter? I've been thinking about it, and I believe God blessed me with a fresh gift of repentance. I'm afraid that I've been way too willing to settle for "negative morality"--for not violating the laws. What's often missing is positive goodness. For example, I've never placed a stumbling block in front of a blind person (one of the prohibitions in Leviticus 19). But have I ever gone out of my way to help a blind person? Not that I can remember. Repenting from a lack of positive goodness brings me to the point of asking God for a new heart, as David did in Psalm 51. "Create in me a new heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me." A heart tilted towards positive goodness, please.

I'm feeling well again this morning, and looking forward to wrapping up another week at my editor's desk. Praying for our designer in Florida as he's working these days to put our words and pictures in beautiful arrangement for the next magazine. I'll fly to Milwaukee very early Sunday, will teach mission classes Sunday evening and Tuesday evening, and return here Wednesday afternoon. I think dear Chuck is willing to keep the blog going while I'm away.

Love,
Carol

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home