Carol Wilson Update

Stage 4 Cancer brought many challenges--and also a host of loving and praying friends. Almost-daily postings to this site are to help my friends walk with me through this journey, and to express my gratitude to them and especially to God...On 7/8/08 Carol passed through that final curtain of death and is now healed. We thank God for her life and "arrival"! Chuck

Thursday, September 18, 2008

First Response

As I have been reading the book of Job these past few days, my thoughts continue to go back to Job’s first response to the complete loss of his animals, his farmhands, and all of his children;

“He said,
I came naked from my mother’s
womb,
and I will be stripped of everything
when I die.
The LORD gave me everything I had,
and the LORD has taken it away.
Praise the name of the LORD!”
(Job 1:21)

WOW…now that is not the expected reaction to such a tragedy. It has to come from a consistent walk and trust in the Lord…Fully Relying On God (FROGin). Something that I am still working on. Then in chapter 2 we read about his three friends that traveled apparently for some distance to encourage him, and in verse 13 we read;

“Then they sat on the ground with him for seven days and nights. And no one said a word, for they saw that his suffering was too great for words.”

I believe that I am getting a message there. No clichés, platitudes, questions or quick answers. They were there to just share in his suffering…help in carrying some of the load of grief with him. Oh yes, later on there were some responses that may have been off-base, but I suspect that this was a first for them to experience such tragedy, and they were learning how to respond too.

This reminds me that from whom much is given, much is expected. I have been given so very much…especially a wonderful group of encouragers/supporters. Lord help me to learn how to be an encouragement/supporter for each of those facing difficult times, and at the same time quickly respond to bumps and turns in my own life with praise to You!

I am looking forward to spending this coming weekend with daughter Lisa in DC. We were last together for Carol’s celebration in July, so it will be great to catch up with each other again. I trust that the fuel situation does not present any problem as I drive there tomorrow.

Thanks for your love and prayers,

Chuck

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home