Carol Wilson Update

Stage 4 Cancer brought many challenges--and also a host of loving and praying friends. Almost-daily postings to this site are to help my friends walk with me through this journey, and to express my gratitude to them and especially to God...On 7/8/08 Carol passed through that final curtain of death and is now healed. We thank God for her life and "arrival"! Chuck

Sunday, October 26, 2008

Blessed by friends

What a blessing and encouragement friends are!

Earlier in the week when Michigan friends stopped in for a visit, I had a delightful time. There was a lot of laughter and a few tears, but a tremendous blessing to share our joys, concerns and even laments together. My thoughts have been filled with memories of our time together both this week and in earlier years. This morning I am sipping coffee from a mug presented to me along with other mementos from friends when we moved from Michigan nearly 13 years ago. Aren't memories wonderful?

Last evening I had two couples in for dinner to celebrate the birthday of a dear friend. They were most gracious in complimenting me on my cooking, even if the main course was not perfect. But I will continue to work on my cooking skills which are very much lacking. We enjoyed lots of conversation and brushed up on our game skills with a round of Chicken-Legs (Dominoes).

This morning a couple are coming in from South Carolina to go with me to Sunday School to enjoy Teacher Tom's study of 1 Samuel 24-31. After which, we will drive to the mountains to attend a concert by a pianist that Carol and I have enjoyed many times over the years. It will be one of those truly Southern presentations with Clogging and the whole bit. Predictions are for a beautiful day in the 70's and the leaves should be in their prime or near-prime beauty.

My reading of A Sacred Sorrow is also an encouragement and blessing. Author, Michael Card encourages his readers to meditate on specific Scriptures using what he refers to as the lectio divina or "divine reading" form. To quote him, "This ancient method of reading the Bible is more about connecting with God and less about straining to achieve a didactic understanding of the text." This method is designed to result in our lament culminating with the answer of; "You didn't fix me, You joined me!" Isn't that what we really need in each difficulty and for that matter on a moment by moment basis? Card says; "Lament is the path that takes us to the place where we discover that there is no complete answer to pain and suffering, only Presence." My mind is still processing that statement in an effort to fully experience it in my heart. I am blessed by you friends that are willing to join me in my lament as I adjust to a very different life without Carol.

Have a wonderful day with your loved ones.

Love,

Chuck

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home