Carol Wilson Update

Stage 4 Cancer brought many challenges--and also a host of loving and praying friends. Almost-daily postings to this site are to help my friends walk with me through this journey, and to express my gratitude to them and especially to God...On 7/8/08 Carol passed through that final curtain of death and is now healed. We thank God for her life and "arrival"! Chuck

Thursday, October 23, 2008

A time to lament

I am reading A Sacred Sorrow by Michael Card, sub-titled Reaching Out to God in the Lost Language of Lament which was recommended by Karin and Keith’s pastor. At the same time my Daily Message readings have been in the book of Lamentations which makes a good combination.

The destruction of Jerusalem must have been a horrible sight. As Jeremiah reflects upon her past greatness and observes her total destruction…the end of beauty and activity, he cries out in a strong lament. Only memories remain. But there are memories of both the good and beauty of her past days along with the horrible sin and destruction of the city and the people. I like Jeremiah’s reminder; “Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for His compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.” (Lamentations 3:22-23) He continues in verses 24-25; “The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for Him. The Lord is good to those who hope in him, to the one who seeks him.”

I am continually experiencing that goodness as I make this transition and adjustments to a life without Carol. In his book, Michael Card frequently refers to God’s hesed, an untranslatable Hebrew word which is often translated loving-kindness. Because of His hesed, we can and actually need to lament, but not despair. Card says; “…lament and despair are polar opposites. Lament is the deepest, most costly demonstration of belief in God. Despair is the ultimate manifestation of the total denial the He exists.”

Today I am excited about having dear Michigan friends coming for a visit. I can guarantee that this evening will not be a lonely one. The house will be filled with conversation and laughter. I am so thankful for a wonderful family and friends that continue to encourage me!

Have a blessed day!

Chuck

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home