Carol Wilson Update

Stage 4 Cancer brought many challenges--and also a host of loving and praying friends. Almost-daily postings to this site are to help my friends walk with me through this journey, and to express my gratitude to them and especially to God...On 7/8/08 Carol passed through that final curtain of death and is now healed. We thank God for her life and "arrival"! Chuck

Friday, August 12, 2011

The power of one

Yesterday I drove to our Indiana lake house to spend a bit of time with our youngest grandson, Gavin, who will be heading off to Bethel College this weekend. It is hard to believe…Time does not stand still. As I tap the computer keys, I am enjoying the lovely cool morning watching our swan family bobbing for their morning breakfast and not a boat in sight on the lake. That will certainly change this weekend when folks have some time to play on the water.

As I was reading the book of Jeremiah this morning, I was reminded of the importance of ONE person that is filled with God’s Spirit. It is so easy to accept the feeling of not believing that one person can accomplish anything, and just hang our heads and complain.

In chapter 26, Jeremiah continues to proclaim God’s warning as he stands in front of the temple warning the residents of certain disaster from the Lord unless they listen and turn from their evil ways. He certainly stood strong and fearless in spite of the strong opposition and even threats upon his life. He and his message were certainly not well received as we read “The priests and prophets presented their accusations to the officials and the people, ‘This man should die!’” (vs. 11) Jeremiah’s response was direct and courageous. He did not beat around the bush. “The LORD gave me every word I have spoken. But if you stop your sinning and begin to obey the LORD your God, he will change his mind about this disaster that he has announced against you. As for me, I am in your hands…” (vs. 12-13) It appears that again ONE man bravely spoke out, saving Jeremiah’s life. “Ahikam son of Shaphan stood up for Jeremiah and persuaded the court not to turn him over to the mob to be killed.” (vs. 24) Again, the power of ONE!

After reading that chapter, I feel quite convicted. It is so much easier to complain and avoid getting involved to prevent being part of the storm, but in so doing, not having the impact that we should have as God-directed believers. History reminds me that sometimes God may not quiet the storm as in Jeremiah’s case, but as we respond according to His will, he will faithfully calm His child with a peace that only He can give and ultimately accomplish His purpose in the situation and in our lives. Thanks Lord, I needed that lesson today!

Have a blessed day!

Chuck

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home