Carol Wilson Update

Stage 4 Cancer brought many challenges--and also a host of loving and praying friends. Almost-daily postings to this site are to help my friends walk with me through this journey, and to express my gratitude to them and especially to God...On 7/8/08 Carol passed through that final curtain of death and is now healed. We thank God for her life and "arrival"! Chuck

Saturday, July 18, 2015

A Merciful God!

Reading and reflecting upon the book of Jonah this past week was a great reminder of God’s patience for his people to obey Him in spite of our disobedience.  God does not give up on us, but rather shows His mercy, bringing many situations into our lives to teach us the lessons that we need in order to realign our lives in accordance with His will.  Even though Jonah refused to obey God, God never gave up on him!

Humanly I can see why Jonah was hesitant to go to Nineveh with the reputation it had of abuse and atrocities.  Thousands of captives burned alive, decapitating hands, fingers, noses and the putting out of eyes along with impaling hundreds of men on stakes when they ran afoul of the leadership.  I would have been mighty hesitant to go also.  But God had specifically spoken to Jonah because of His desire to awaken the people of Nineveh spiritually.  When Jonah did go after some rather harrowing experiences on the sea and in the sea, traveling inside a great fish for three days, the people not only repented, but the king issued a decree that everyone call urgently upon God (Jonah 3:8).  God then showed His great compassion upon them and they were spared!

Jonah’s “sermon” of only 8-9 words accomplished its purpose, but Jonah became angry with God for relenting and he proceeded to pout and complain for the remainder of the book which ends abruptly with me wondering if Jonah ever changed his attitude?

I found the book a good reminder of God’s mercy upon every individual even as we disobey Him, while at the same time presenting us with experiences along with opportunities to repent and enjoy His abundant blessings as we serve Him.

I am reminded of David’s request; “Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts.  See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.”  (Psalm 139:23-24)   After reading the book of Jonah, I recognized my need to ask the same for myself on a continual basis!

Love to all,


Chuck

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home