Carol Wilson Update

Stage 4 Cancer brought many challenges--and also a host of loving and praying friends. Almost-daily postings to this site are to help my friends walk with me through this journey, and to express my gratitude to them and especially to God...On 7/8/08 Carol passed through that final curtain of death and is now healed. We thank God for her life and "arrival"! Chuck

Monday, August 04, 2008

How can I say thanks?

After a very busy weekend, hundreds of hugs, many reminders from years past, and over 1,500 miles of driving, I am back home. I have to admit that returning to what has been our home for the past twelve plus years, generated both a joy and a sadness. The house is so empty without Carol, but at the same time it is so full of wonderful memories and the excitement of knowing that very soon we shall be together again in an absolutely perfect location with Jesus, and among those we love.

The Lansing celebration had a slightly different flavor from the one in Charlotte, but I believe was just what Carol envisioned and honored our wonderful Lord. Many of that group have known us since childhood. Several were in attendance when we were married, and many worked with us years ago. We even had several who traveled many miles to attend both celebrations. One dear friend told me; “The Charlotte celebration was so wonderful, that I just had to come to Lansing too.”

Again, I am indebted to so many that “made it happen.” Long time friends, Ross and Inky did a fantastic job organizing and coordinating the celebration with the help of many other friends. Mel and Verna did their usual outstanding job with the music, and our dear friend, Robin who was on stage numerous times with Carol, ministering at Winning Women conferences, drove in from Indiana to participate with the music. As I reflected on the weekend, the song My Tribute came to mind several times…”How can I say thanks for the things YOU have done for me/us…?” Truly, the Lord and our/his friends have been so good to us!

I had many hours to reflect as I drove to and from Michigan alone. I thought about the relationship Carol and I had with each other and with the Lord. Thankful for much done right, but at the same time wishing to have spent more time appreciating each moment. A verse from Micah 6:8 came to mind. I learned it in the King James version, but I like The Message version:

“But he’s already made it plain how to live, what to do,
what GOD is looking for in men and women.
It’s quite simple: Do what is fair and just to your neighbor,
Be compassionate and loyal in love,
And don’t take yourself too seriously—
Take God seriously.”

That sounds a lot like Carol’s life, and a goal that I want to keep in mind as I continue to walk this winding road of life without her, but with the One who will stay closer to me than a brother.

Not being the writer that Carol was, I will not attempt to keep a daily blog going any longer, but will try to add a few comments on occasion, hopefully weekly, to keep this history available for those of you that have told me how helpful it has been to be able to review its 2 1/2 years of a walk with cancer.

Thanks so much for your strategic part in our lives. We look forward to seeing you on the other side of that curtain.

Love,

Chuck

1 Comments:

At Mon Aug 04, 12:24:00 PM GMT-5, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chuck--
Just wanted to say "well done" to you and Carol. Sorry that you have lost your dear companion, for now. Thank you for the blog, and I do think it is a real resource. We have appreciate both of you in your selfless service. Love, Rick (and Deb) Sacra

 

Post a Comment

<< Home